Business Planning can be both an exciting yet stressful process with many decisions that can make or break your business. Below we will go over some of the things to consider during each phase of your business and how a qualified attorney can help make the process easier.
Should your new business be organized as an LLC or Corporation to limit risks? Do you need a trademark or a particular license? Have you done all the required paperwork? Getting your business off the ground is stressful, the worst thing that can happen is getting off to a bad start. At Tarris Law we can help you:
- Build and implement a comprehensive business plan.
- Provide advice and help you set up the best business structure for your needs.
- Develop and implement start-up financing strategies
- Provide strategies to help you develop and protect intellectual property and other assets.
Furthermore, when starting up a business there are many things you will need to do to become legal and to get the best tax treatment, we can help you with the following services and more:
- Register business name with the Virginia State Corporation Commission
- Prepare and file Articles of Organization or Incorporation with Virginia SCC.
- Prepare custom Operating or Shareholder Agreement
- Prepare and file Form SS-4 (application for federal employer tax identification number)
- Obtain a local business license.
- Prepare membership interest transfer ledger
- Prepare intellectual property licensing or assignment agreements
- Obtain corporate set (minute book, seal, share certificates)
- Serve as the registered agent, file renewals and update your registration
Ask us about our comprehensive packages that include all your needs at a reduced rate.
Business Contracts and Operations
Now that your business is up and running you are going to be having to make agreements and contracts with employees, vendors, & clients/customers. It is important that you have the correct terms so you do not wind up in a bad deal that will come back to bite you. An experienced attorney can help you draft and/or review some of the following contracts:
- Employment Agreements
- Independent Contractor Agreements
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Noncompete Agreements
- Indemnity Agreement
- Service Contracts
- Lease Agreements
- Letters of Intent
Business Planning for Growth
Your business planning objectives change during the growth phase and many items become even more complicated which is why many people fail to take their small business to the next level. We will provide you with a qualified attorney to help you:
- Develop and implement debt and/or equity financing strategies for growth
- Plan and negotiate joint ventures, licensing arrangements and other strategic alliances
- Plan and implement franchising strategies
- Advise and provide representation with respect to strategic acquisitions
- Provide business organizational structure and risk management advice
- Plan for debt and/or equity restructuring
Has it come time to sell your business or pass it along to the next generation. Hopefully, your prior business planning has taken these issues into consideration and now all you need to do is execute the plan. Regardless, we can help you with:
- Business succession planning involving the transition of the business to partners, family members or key employees
- Developing and implementing external exit strategies, including a sale or merger.
- Buy-sell agreements